Thursday, February 26, 2009

[LENTEN DEVOTIONAL] Thursday, February 26

THURSDAY,  FEBRUARY 26

Romans 12:6-8  We have different gifts according to the grace given us … If a man’s gift is serving, let him serve, if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously.

I am blessed to be part of the PW cookbook committee that is busy collecting favorite recipes to be included in our new 175th anniversary edition.  The book also contains old photos and a history of our church.  I think of the many women and their recipes that for 175 years built this church. Some of the recipes are old family favorites that remind the cook of tastes of holidays gone by.  Some are newly used and found to be time savers yet still delicious. Some are enjoyed by the different church groups like choir, Skyline, or Wednesday Nite Live. Food brings people together in Christian love and Mission.  I realize these recipes have been shared one meal at a time in the service of our Lord.

We seem to remember these special events with great fondness. I remember helping my grandmother make Company Chicken Salad for 50, by peeling the green grapes, eating some, and tossing the rest into the bowl. My Mom was famous for her Goulash for 50, Angel Food cake, and pies. I loved rolling out the dough with her when she had to bring one of these to Couples Club. These special memories remind me of the hymn “Blest be the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love” which was written 175 years ago, just as our church was forming.

Recipe directions are precise and orderly so that we may all have the same desired result. One step is no more important than another, each contributing to the whole completing a beautiful, mouth watering dish to be shared. God has left me instructions to follow as well. If I faithfully obey his commandments and follow Christ, I can expect a perfect result as well. It is his recipe for everlasting life. How delicious is that?

Prayer:  Dear Lord, I thank you for every cook, and their recipes of love – past, present, and future. Help me to use my talents and gifts bestowed on me in your mercy. Help me to follow your directions to love and serve you every day of my earthly life so I may be worthy of the perfect result; life without end. Amen. Amen.

Barbara Rubel



-----------------------------------------------------
You can unsubscribe from this list, or change preferences by clicking this link.

powered by phplist v 2.10.8, © tincan ltd

No comments: