Monday, April 6, 2009

[LENTEN DEVOTIONAL] Monday, April 6

MONDAY,  APRIL 6
 
Matthew 7:1-2 
Do not judge lest you be judged.  For in the way you judge, you will be judged: and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.
 

Delayed Judgment

I recently took a course with my daughter’s school on creativity, and one of the steps in this course was called “delayed judgment.”  By delaying our judgment, our mind has an opportunity to be open to many possibilities. The example they gave was trying a new dish called lobster ice cream. I could never eat lobster ice cream, they are not even closely related or in the same category.  Hearing those two food items put together would make anyone think twice.

What if you tried this combination of foods and were not told what it was?  By delaying our judgment until after trying this dish we may be pleasantly surprised.  In reality, there is a restaurant that offers lobster cold soup.  Now, that sounds more interesting, and placing this in a different context sounds more appealing.  Yes, I am sure lobster cold soup is something you might be adventurous to try.  We don’t usually associate ice cream and lobster together.

So many times I judge a situation that narrows my thinking, and if I stop, and delay my judgment, the situation that I think I see, may change.  I think that is what God does for us.  He is always there to help us see another point of view.  We may be led by God in some new way, through a friend or stranger, to open our view of thinking.  God is always there to prompt us to delay judgment.
 

Remember, God is also delaying His judgment about our lives as well.  There are days I think God is waiting patiently for us to grow, and he is delaying judgment. I can also delay my judgment of others as well. I may not know all the other things going on in a person’s life situation and may not fully understand, and they may not understand me as well.
 

Prayer:  God of all, please help me to delay my judgment of others and to be more open to your will and love those in need, even though we do not fully understand.  Please help me to be and instrument of your understanding and love in this day.  Amen.

Kathleen Sleder



-----------------------------------------------------
You can unsubscribe from this list, or change preferences by clicking this link.

powered by phplist v 2.10.8, © tincan ltd

No comments: