Saturday, March 13, 2010

SATURDAY, MARCH 13

Luke 19:10  For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost.

So often we are seeking for God, yet we don't realize that God first is seeking us.  Though we are His creation, Christ really has no need for us.  Yet He chose to reconcile us to Himself.  And through this reconciliation, He humbled Himself from all His glory to become a man – man who would not only die, but also bear the weight of all the sin in the world for us.  Even though we are unnecessary for His existence, He did all this because He loves us and sought a renewed relationship with us.  He seeks a relationship with us.  What an awesome God!

God knows we will seek Him and is already there when we look for Him.  He says in Revelation 3:20, “Here I am!  I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.”  He is calling – we only need to open the door and let Him in.  He wants to share a meal with us – and not just a quick meal on the run.  This passage is referring to a time of lingering, of fellowship, a communion of spirits as time and food and conversation are shared.

Then He finishes this passage from Revelation with these words from Chapter 3:21, “To the one who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me, even on my throne."  Just recently, I learned that the original word "throne" in this passage is better translated as "bench."  This is a place where more than one person can sit, together with a friend. Essentially Jesus is saying, “Come and sit with me here in glory – for I have saved you a seat, right next to me!"

How often do we hear kids say those same words – or say them ourselves – “Save me a seat!” or “I'll save you a seat!”  It might be on the bus, in the lunch line, at Sunday School, at a potluck, at a sporting event or recital, or even at the movies.  We want to sit by someone special, so we save them a seat by saying, “Please come and sit by me.”  We, too, feel special and included when someone goes to all the trouble to save us a seat.

What a wonderful thing that the Son of God not only seeks us out, but having redeemed us, waits for us in heaven, saving us a seat right next to Him.  We still seek Him and He gently answers, “I am right here. Please come and sit by me!”
 
Deborah Blair

No comments: