Tuesday, March 22, 2011

TUESDAY, MARCH 22


For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly moved.” (Psalm 62:1-2)


Love Who You Are

My daughter is a 6th grader this year and is writing poetry weekly for class. This one struck me, and I am sharing it with her permission.

Appreciate You

by Grace Sleder


If you don’t like how you look don’t change

You should love how you look

When you don’t do your best work

Try harder next time


You should love how you act

You should realize how amazing you are

Try not to care what others think

Just be the way you are

Appreciate You


Out of the mouth of babes comes answers that amaze me. This poem came from a difficult time where Grace was hurt from a situation she thought would be fun. She acted like an adult and moved on stronger from the hurt.

Sometimes, I find myself treating her like an adult, expecting her to do something I assume she should know. I have to stop and remember, she is only a child of 11 years. She always helps me to appreciate the person I have become, as her mother in her adult-like caring way.

Sometimes, she will let me hold her like a child. Thank God for relationships, where some roles are changing so fast, I am not sure where I am and must adjust to the new terrain.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help us to appreciate your love for us and the individual gifts you have given each one of us. Help us to appreciate those all around us today and tomorrow. Amen.

Kathleen Sleder

No comments: