Friday, February 24, 2012

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 24




Mark 1:10 And just as He was coming out of the water, He saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove on Him.

Mark 15:37-38 Then Jesus gave a loud cry and breathed His last. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom.

TORN SEPARATION

Mark starts and ends his version of the Gospel with essentially the same symbol – tearing apart the heavens (to allow the Spirit to descend to the Son of God on earth) and tearing in two the curtain in the temple (that separated the Holy of Holies directly from worshipers). While both of these events relate directly to Jesus, they are very important in knowing our relationship to the Lord. They symbolize to me the elimination of the separation between God and man. There is no longer a need to maintain separation or go through an intermediary. We are free to choose to enter into a personal relationship directly with our Lord.

This is very important to me in my faith journey. Too often we try to separate ourselves from God and create walls (curtains) of separation. This can be seen when we say that the Spirit doesn't care about a lot that we do, or say that Jesus won't accept us because we have sinned, or turning from God because we feel inferior. How often do you feel alone or that no one cares and you have nowhere to turn to for help?

This feeling of separation is not what God wants for us. He wants to be intimately involved with us constantly, but we need to invite Him in. I like to express this by asking Lord Jesus to "let me walk with you" and knowing that His hand is out stretched.

Dear Lord, Hear my prayer. Let me walk with Jesus. Let me help another. Let me glorify You. Thank you for loving me. In Jesus' name. Amen.

David Zimmer

No comments: