Sunday, February 24, 2013

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 24



Let your light shine before others … (Matthew 5:16)


I’m not being modest- I simply cannot carry a tune! Many years ago I expressed this concern as a group of us headed out from the church for some “good ole Christmas caroling,” and I was assured that God loves all voices. So I eagerly sang out the first carol with all I had…and was then invited to hold the flashlight for the rest of the group. Since then I’ve become quite adept at lip-syncing!
As one of the Inclusion Coordinators at FPC, it is my honor and privilege to help insure the inclusion of persons of all abilities into the life of the church, and I found myself in the position of encouraging various people to sing. All I could think was, “God, you have got to be kidding me!” Imagine how ironic it was when I was asked to become a helper at the children’s choir rehearsals!
But how can I ask others to sing if I’m not singing?
Now in the Sanctuary on Sunday mornings I stand with a young friend of mine and word by word we work on letting our voices be heard. At the last Rejoicing Spirits’ service I sat next to someone who has never said much to me, and we sang together. And you know what? In both cases, when we made eye contact and smiled at each other, we sang louder. We were connected. As in all of life, we are transformed by the relationships we build. And we can only build relationships if we are willing to put ourselves out there…even if it’s out of our comfort zone.
What I considered God’s irony was actually God’s gift. I still don’t sing well, but all of our voices deserve to be heard.

Gracious and loving God, thank you for the gift of your transforming light shining on me through others. Through their presence, my little spark becomes a flame. Amen.
Joanne Blair

No comments: