Friday, March 22, 2013

FRIDAY, MARCH 22

Be still and know that I am God.  (Psalm 46:10)


Stillness

One of the many blessings in my life is the opportunity to live at this time surrounded by the beautiful expansive woods and fields of Skyline Camp and Retreat Center. Yet even here, even in the calmer, cooler months of the year, the noise and busyness of our world bullies its way in.
The following words, a few lines excerpted from a Wendell Berry poem, remind me with such economy and simple rhyme, of the need to seek opportunities for silence and stillness. I see in his phrase “borne, preserved, and comprehended” a beautiful Trinitarian parallel.

The mind that comes to rest is tended
In ways it cannot intend,
Is borne, preserved, and comprehended
By what it cannot comprehend.

Sometimes, like Berry, I need to seek the “mind at rest.” At all times, I need to be open like Elijah to the unexpected moments of sheer silence in which God’s presence can be.

Give us silence so that we can hear the word of the Lord, like Elijah, through a still small voice. Amen.

Matt Henry

No comments: