Monday, March 21, 2016

Monday, March 21

The helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything...
John 14:26
REJOICE!
“Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me,” sings the familiar hymn. And it has. And He does. I don't always understand what’s happening, but I do feel the presence of God as He walks with me through sometimes difficult, often joyous times in my life.
Many years ago, as I was passing through a particularly difficult time, I embroidered a cross-stitch picture with the saying “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” It seemed to lift my spirits. Some years later, I heard a sermon on the familiar verse from the Psalms: “This is the day which the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.” I hurried home to design and stitch this verse, then replaced the earlier one with this one. It still hangs in my kitchen, and many days I awake with this verse in my thoughts.
God doesn’t make the road straight, or even smooth. However, I have often had the sensation of being carried over the roughest parts. He has melted me, molded me and still walks with me. What better friend can anyone ask for?
Spirit of the Living God, fall afresh on me, Spirit of the Living God, fall afresh on me. Melt me. Mold me. Fill me. Use me. Spirit of the Living God, fall afresh on me. Amen.

Marilyn Bura

from the 1995 Lenten Devotional

No comments: