Sunday, February 17, 2008

LENTEN DEVOTION FOR SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 17

Then the kingdom of heaven shall be compared to ten maidens who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them; but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast; and the door was shut. Afterward the other maidens came also, saying, "Lord, Lord, open to us." But he replied, "Truly, I say to you, I do not know you." Watch, therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour. (Matthew 25:1-13)

Is Lent one really long funeral service? Lent is a time of repentance. Lately for me, funerals have been a time of repentance. As I listen to the Eulogy shared by a loved one, I hear God's voice. The stories told and the qualities highlighted are evidence of his presence in their lives. They followed the path he intended for them and served him well. I find myself asking God for forgiveness for my own shortcomings and promising to improve my service to him.

As the clergy tells the story of the ten maidens, I feel an urgency to follow God's will. Without enough oil, I am one of the foolish maidens, not prepared for God. As I drive to the celebration which follows the funeral service, my mind is focused on being a better mom, spouse, and servant of God,.

At the celebration, more laughter is heard, and less sobbing. Fun stories are shared along with good food. Is this similar to the joy we experience sharing a meal at Easter?

God, help guide me through Lent and this time of repentance. Let me be more like those whom have served you well, so I may be prepared. Amen.

Julie Wagner

No comments: