Thursday, February 21, 2008

LENTEN DEVOTION FOR THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 21

Love hopes all things, bears all things, believes all things...Faith, hope and love abide, and the greatest of these is love. (1 Corinthians 13:7,13)

A Life Lesson Since my story about my grandson appeared in the 2006 Lenten Devotions, many of you have shared your supporting thoughts with me. Your words have touched me deeply. The same grandson, 26 years old this year, has been diagnosed HIV- positive. This devastating news rocked our family much as it rocked his world in NYC. "Stupid, regretful decisions," he tells me, "and now I have to pay." If he were writing this he would emphasize, and I would concur, that acquiring this virus does NOT come "with the territory." None of his friends are infected, and most probably never will be. When we gathered at our Canadian cottage this past summer, for the "huge group hug" that he craved, he was sick much of the time. Getting adjusted to a cocktail of meds that are carefully designed to eradicate the virus is in itself a toxic experience that needs regular modification and fine-tuning. In 2006 when I wrote, "Sometimes I need to remind myself that his care and his health are in the hands
of our Creator," I believed it. I still believe it. At this writing his body has become adjusted to the meds. He works at a demanding job; keeping pace very well. He has outstanding care at Rockefeller University Hospital where the latest treatments are implemented. And he belongs to support groups that offer him the strength he requires. My strength comes from my Faith. I firmly believe that he will be afforded a full, authentic healthy life which is all I can ever begin to pray for.

May the words of my mouth, and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, Dear Lord, I pray. Amen.

Janet Munson

No comments: