Monday, March 3, 2008

LENTEN DEVOTION FOR MONDAY, MARCH 3

The people walking in darkness have seen a great light. (Isaiah 9:2)

My daughter has cancer that has not responded well to treatment and these were my thoughts on one recent long night. "Deep in December it's hard to remember that Spring will follow, follow, follow..." (beg your pardon, Tom Jones and The Fantastics). I must have been one of the worst back seat kids of the "are we there yet" variety. Waiting is hard. Have we turned the corner? Where IS the corner? Is it this scan (MRI, CAT scan)? Will it offer more hope than the last scan? We're all so "goal oriented" - OUR goals, not HIS. Sometimes "Thy will be done" is very hard to say after our long lists of petitions. Our night vision is sometimes blurred. Enough of that! Jesus said, "Trust in ME. I will lift you up. Have faith! This is not the end! I have made a promise to you. A covenant with you. Keep on keeping on, and not just plodding on, but dancing, moving on joyfully! The best is yet to come! Follow ME." I say, "Keep your fork!"

Lord, God help me to live gratefully and gracefully all my days and to know that you are with me always. Amen.
Marilyn Bura

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30)

Grace is a gift that God gives you. Not because you deserve it, but because you need it. Have faith that God is anticipating your needs. Don't be afraid to ask God for help, and don't be surprised when you get it.

Heavenly Father, when I carry a heavy burden, let me lean on you. I know you are always there to lighten my day. Amen.

Dan Reeves

No comments: