Sunday, March 2, 2008

LENTEN DEVOTION FOR SUNDAY, MARCH 2

God added his witness to theirs by performing all kinds of miracles and wonders and by distributing the gifts of the Holy Spirit according to his will. (Hebrews 2:4)

MIRACLES

Many of your views are probably similar to mines, you believe in miracles; however, you don't expect to see many during your lifetime. Let me tell you how my eyes were opened to see and embrace miracles on a daily basis. Our church has a wonderful Jazz Service every Saturday at 5:00 PM at which the Rev. Mary Austin and others provide words of inspiration. The music at this service is outstanding; the coffee and cookies are delicious. The fellowship is warm, welcoming, and vibrant. The sermons are so short you can take them home in one hand and repeat them to your friends; however, they are so powerful and spiritual that they lift your faith to another level. One Saturday Mary preached one of those short, powerful and spiritual sermons in which she indicated that "we blindly wander through miracles looking for miracles." That revelation touched me deeply. It opened my eyes to new wonders. I then realized that the Jazz Service was one of my miracles. Each Saturday, I make a special ef
fort to attend the service, as well as, give service to gathering. Many times you will see strangers as well as non- Christians in attendance. Could this service be their miracle also? My grandsons, 8 and 10, told me they didn't like church, it was boring to them. However when they wanted to spend a weekend with me, I informed them that we would attend the Jazz Service at our church. After much hesitation, they agreed to come and attend the service. They really enjoyed the service's casual setting -- sitting wherever, helping themselves to cookies whenever, and seeing Lucy. They left the service wanting to lean more about Jesus. Was this another miracle? Or was it the cookies and Lucy? I no longer walk blindly through miracles looking for miracles, my eyes and heart are opened to receive and embrace them. Dear Lord, thank you for helping me to see, embrace, and appreciate all of the miracles which you send my way. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Rosy Latimore

No comments: