Sunday, March 9, 2008

LENTEN DEVOTION FOR SUNDAY, MARCH 9

I pray that according to the riches of God's glory, he may grant that you may be strengthened in your inner being with power through his Spirit, and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith, as you are being rooted and grounded in love. I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:16-19)

These verses took on new meaning for me in July of 2006. I had just received word that my sister, Margaret, had died. So many good memories of my older sister came flooding back. There was one especially. It was a simple song she taught me to sing when I was four years old. It went "Open up your heart and let the sunshine in." That tune kept playing in my head and heart throughout the night.

The next morning, a Saturday, I sat at my computer wondering how in the world I could ever lead a worship service the next day for a church in Warren. I was tempted to call someone else to fill in. But then my eyes re-read the scripture that had already been chosen. It was the passage from Ephesians 3. Moreover, the title of my message was "Inner Strength." And I thought, "Guess this is a good test to see how anyone could experience strength at a time like this. I need to rely on this timeless truth and see how it applies right here and right now."

And it happened. Margaret's tune kept playing "Open up your heart and let the sunshine in" but soon it became "Open up your heart and let God's sunshine in." A warm glow simply enveloped me. It wasn't MY strength that I needed to rely on. All I had to do was to open up my heart to GOD'S promise of strength and presence. And it was there. Big time. It carried me throughout that Sunday. It was God's presence as well as my sister's love dwelling with me that helped me to share that timeless Good News: "Christ's love surpasses knowledge."

Do you notice any particular tune or words playing in the background of your consciousness at times? Pay attention. It may be just the message you need to hear that is bubbling up to strengthen your inner being.

Gracious God, thank you for your promises that you are there even in the darkest times. Help us to open up our "whatever our circumstances today" and let the sunshine of your love and light in. Let these flow out to others in Christ's name and for his sake. Amen.

Kate Thoresen

No comments: