Tuesday, March 10, 2009

[LENTEN DEVOTIONAL] Tuesday, March 10

TUESDAY,  MARCH 10
 

Psalm 19:14. 
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.
 


Interesting how a routine from teenage years can provide a lifelong memory. As a member of the TUXIS (You and I Trusting and Serving Christ) youth group at Redford Avenue Presbyterian Church in northwest Detroit, I had many memorable experiences.

Each Sunday evening we had a worship service planned by the youth. The final hymn was always, by agreement, “If I Have Wounded Any Soul Today,” also known as “The Evening Hymn.”


The Evening Hymn

If I have wounded any soul today,
If I have caused one heart to go astray,
If I have walked in my own willful way,
Dear Lord, forgive.


Examining these words one sees how significant they can be to teenagers as well as persons of all ages.  Unintentional or intentional words out of the mouths of teenagers often wound others. Willfulness is often cited as a characteristic of teen years. Gentle reminders and a plea for forgiveness may guide future behaviors into a kinder, gentler mode of human interaction.

This is an example of many hymns which have powerful messages and are often lovely poetry.  Do we take the time to think about the words? At times, concentrating on singing the notes correctly precludes thinking about the message.  How about reading the words and thinking about them outside of the worship service? You may find a new depth of meaning, awareness and awakening.

Prayer:  Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.  Amen.
 

Diane K. Bert



-----------------------------------------------------
You can unsubscribe from this list, or change preferences by clicking this link.

powered by phplist v 2.10.8, © tincan ltd

No comments: