Wednesday, March 25, 2009

[LENTEN DEVOTIONAL] Wednesday, March 25

WEDNESDAY,  MARCH 25
 
John 14:27  “Peace is what I leave with you; it is my own peace that I give you.  I do not give it as the world does.  Do not be worried and upset; do not be afraid.”
 

Psalm 46:10  Be still and know that I am God.
 


One cool gray October Sunday morning I left my hotel room, walked across a freeway overpass, and entered the Chicago Botanical Gardens.  I adjusted my I-pod earbuds and had about two hours to wander alone and just be.  No mission, no to-do list, no one to keep me company or entertain – a rare alone time, unstructured, unplanned, unhurried.
 
And what an unexpected blessing I experienced!  As I ambled from forest path to formal rose garden, down sculpted tree-lined avenues and pebble-covered alleys, I let the music of the FPC Set the Sun Dancing CD fill my head and drive away all other thoughts.  All worrying and planning and focused thinking seemed to turn off as I let the beauty of the gardens and the sweet music fill my senses.  I breathed deeply and gazed peacefully at distant vistas from the Japanese gardens.  Tiny blossoms and interesting branches caught my eye, and I paused to enjoy – but without feeling any of my usual urges to read labels on plants, or strike up conversations with passersby, or make notes about what I saw.
 
I used my little camera, taking countless pictures, as an extension of my own sight, a way to see more, to focus, to look more consciously, to see more clearly.  The act of taking the pictures helped me shut out the world around me and just be in the moment, alone, drifting, music playing, at peace.
 
That morning I was in a world by myself, content to just be, feel, see, breathe.  I marveled at God’s amazing and wonderful creation and just basked in the peace and beauty.  Those two hours felt holy, felt like worship.  As I reflect on that quiet ramble, I realize I need to take more time like that to lift my spirits, calm my worries, and experience a time of peace in a busy life and a stressful world.
 

Prayer:  Slow us down, Lord, until we can experience the music and the beauty that can restore our weary souls and bring us your peace. Amen.

Diane Falconer



-----------------------------------------------------
You can unsubscribe from this list, or change preferences by clicking this link.

powered by phplist v 2.10.8, © tincan ltd

No comments: