Wednesday, February 17, 2010

ASH WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 17

Romans 12:6  Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith.

A few years ago Chris Gannon preached about the opportunities, presented throughout our lives, to answer God’s call to serve.  She said the calls come over and over, kind of like the charity calls we all receive.  You know what the call may be, so often you don’t answer.  Charities keep calling and calling.  God keeps calling and calling.  Different times, different places, God keeps calling.

When I retired from my teaching career, I was asked to share my skills, in a multitude of ways, within our church and with charitable organizations.  I ignored all requests.  I just wanted to indulge myself in every leisure opportunity possible.  I had breakfasts with friends, computer lessons, knitting lessons, cooking lessons, and socialized from dawn to dusk.  While rushing from one indulgent activity to the next, I began to become aware that something was missing.  Still, I ignored the calls to share my talents.  

Then, one morning, I met a school parent I knew who asked if I would consider tutoring.  When I declined, she became just a little confrontational and asked, “How can you NOT share your talent when so many children are in need?”  I didn’t know how to answer.

Soon, thereafter, I began to answer some of my calls.  I realized God had given me gifts I needed to use to be a whole person.  We have all been given different gifts through grace, and by combining our gifts in the service of others, we renew our world in God’s image.

During Lent, listen more carefully to the calls for your gifts.  Answer the calls!

Prayer:  Lord, make us more aware of your calls to serve.  Help us use our gifts more wisely.  Amen.

Joan Palleschi

No comments: