Sunday, February 28, 2010

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 28

Philippians 2:1-3  If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.  Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

Yes, I took part in the Web simulcast with Oprah and Dr. Eckhart Tolle discussing his book “The New Earth.”  I dutifully connected to the Web for 10 weeks in 2009 (or was it 2008) to listen and learn about living in the NOW and experiencing self control, self-improvement, and self motivation.  I watched and emailed questions in hopes that my question would be picked for an interview.  Though my questions were never picked, calm settled over me during these 3-hour sessions while I listened.  And an amazing thing happened in the weeks that followed.  I became a better listener instead of a fixer.

Most of us think we have the answers to questions asked of us or we think we do.  In many cases, as I listen NOW, the individual asking the question has already made up their mind and they just want our reassurance.  OK, go for it.  Do it or don’t do it.  Aren’t we in control of which path we jump onto and travel?  Sure.

There are many roads and choices out there and some are scary while others are as clear as a sunny spring morning.  But if we can take a stand and dig our toes into this wonderful Earth of ours, most challenges will seem like a small breeze that ruffle our branches slightly.

OK, I’m standing like a tree with my toes dug into the healthy dirt of this planet but how does that related to Tolle’s book?  That 10-week exercise of listening and viewing taught me to listen.  It taught me to be grounded in my beliefs which seem to change as much as the weather.  But change is good because it causes me to ask more questions.  And during this process of learning, I’ve discovered a calming compassion and patience for others as well as for me.

As the tall tree stands to comfort those who seek shade or offer its branches to climb to new heights, I sincerely hope my roots grow deep to support my choices while encouraging others to step out onto the limbs of life itself and enjoy today.

Carla Lamphere

No comments: