Monday, April 2, 2012

MONDAY, APRIL 2




Luke 22:19-20 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.”

Los Manos de los Americanos

As a Presbyterian, I have always been challenged by the significance of the last supper. Without the literal concept of transubstantiation, I find myself wondering what Jesus meant when he urged the disciples to partake of his body and blood. The allusion to food must suggest some form of sustenance, but how is something as frail as a body supposed to sustain the divinity of a savior?

The answer quite literally fell into my hands in Leona Vicario, Mexico. Several times, actually:
As an offering plate passed around a tiny church construction site in Tres Leches.
As I overcame language barriers and taught knitting by demonstration, rather than with words.
As I pressed dough into tortillas.
As a member of our group massaged tired limbs.

As we clasped hands and prayed at our last Mexican supper, I found my meaning. Through our hands, we were able to give, to teach, to cook, to soothe, to pray. If our hands alone can do so much, then the body of Christ is the body of mission, and what a glorious vessel of good work it is.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. (Psalm 139:14)

Katie Blair

No comments: