Thursday, February 21, 2013

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 21


Let your light shine before others , so that they may see your good works, and give glory to your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)

The silent waiting room of the doctor’s office was almost filled with people when a breathless young woman arrived staggering in carrying a woman on her back. She deposited the woman on a chair and sat down breathing heavily. Suddenly the woman got up and took a few steps. The young woman sighed and said, “Mom, you told me you couldn’t walk.” She tried to settle her mother down but her mother restlessly threw her legs over the arm of the chair.
I sat there wondering what I could do. Could I be of any help?
I talked to the daughter and asked if I told a story would it distract her mother and help her quiet down? The young woman said she thought not, but she would love to hear a story. I proposed telling the Gingerbread Boy story. The young woman sighed and got out her cell phone. She showed me pictures of a smiling person making gingerbread cookies a year ago. It was her mother.
Somewhat embarrassed by this atypical behavior in a medical office, I began telling the story. I had gotten into it when they were called back into the examining rooms.
The young woman graciously said to me, “You are an angel. God sent you to me today.”
I was very glad I had overcome my reluctance and had offered to try to be helpful. Perhaps this is an example of a Christian act of reaching out and letting your light shine.

Our Heavenly Father, may we seek opportunities each day to reach out and be helpful to others, letting our light shine as Christians. May we put our beliefs into action. Amen

Diane K. Bert

No comments: