Monday, March 30, 2015

Monday, March 30


... he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed.
Isaiah 53:3-5

Alas! And did my Savior bleed, And did my Sovereign die!Would He devote that sacred head For sinners such as I!
Was it for sins that I have done He suffered on the tree?
Amazing pity! Grace Unknown! And love beyond degree!
Well might the sun in darkness hide, And shut its glories in,
When Christ, the great Redeemer, died For human creatures
' sin. But drops of love can ne'er repay The debt of love I owe;
Here, Lord, I give myself away; Tis all that I can do.
Isaac Watts (1707), The Presbyterian Hymnal, #78

This hymn speaks to me as bearing one of the essential messages of Christianity, in that through whatever forms I choose to worship our Lord this Lenten season, I must involve and offer nothing less than my entire being.
Gracious God, You know me better than I know myself, and still you love me. Help me to understand what I must do with my life, my time, my energy and my talent. When I come to you asking for understanding, grant me the gifts of consideration, gratitude, attention and inspiration. When I am overwhelmed with responsibilities, pressures, and fears of failure, let your presence remind me that you deemed me to be worthy of the life of your own son. Be with me in these journey days, as they are filled with self-examination, penitence, fasting and prayer. Merciful Lord, for the sake of Jesus Christ our Savior, I give myself to you. Tis all that I can do." Amen.

Sue Delpup (1994)


by His bruises we are healed

No comments: