Friday, February 12, 2016

Friday, February 12

Then I heard the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? Who will go for me?”
Isaiah 6:8

SINGING = PRAYING TWICE
Music is an important part of my spiritual life. When I sing, I feel as though I am praying twice. Several years back, when we lived in another city, our choir sang an anthem than has stayed with me. The words are Albert Schweitzer's:
He comes to us as One unknown, without a name, as of old, by the lakeside He came to those men who know Him not. He speaks to us, He speaks the same word: "Follow thou me!" and sets us to the task which He has to fulfill for our time. He commands and to those who obey Him, whether they be wise or simple, He will reveal Himself in the toils, the conflicts, the sufferings which they shall pass through in His fellowship. And, as an ineffable mystery, they shall learn in their own experience Who He is.
I know Christ has come to me many times over the years, asking me to follow. I am sure I was not listening as often as I should have. It isn't easy to always remember "Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord?" I do know that when I have 'tuned in' to Him and responded, my faith is renewed and my life is much fuller.
Dear Lord, clear my mind and heart to really hear you when you call. Help me to be willing to respond and ready to do the very best I can in your name.Amen.

Norma Carlson
from the 1995 Lenten Devotional


No comments: