Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Ash Wednesday, March 01


From the 1996 Lenten Devotional
Now the word of the Lord came to me saying, ‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.’  Then I said, ‘Ah, Lord God! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy.’  But the Lord said to me, ‘Do not say, “I am only a boy”; for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and you shall speak whatever I command you.  Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, says the Lord.’  Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth; and the Lord said to me, ‘Now I have put my words in your mouth.  See, today I appoint you over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to pull down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant.
Jeremiah 1:4-10

'And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus.  He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David. He will reign over the house of Jacob for ever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.’  Mary said to the angel, ‘How can this be, since I am a virgin?’  The angel said to her, ‘The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be holy; he will be called Son of God. And now, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son; and this is the sixth month for her who was said to be barren.  For nothing will be impossible with God.’
Luke 1:31-37


Prayers are following the sun around the world today as ecumenical communities gather to celebrate World Day of Prayer [which is always held on the first Friday in Lent, March 1 in 1996].
Haitian women, who wrote the [worship] service using the theme “God Calls Us To Respond," put their attention on how God has called people in the Bible. The calls to Jeremiah and Mary follow parallel structures and have elements commonly found in a call from God: encounter with God or God's messenger; an introduction; a commission to do or say something; and objection to the call because those called are honest about their limitations; consent (sometimes reluctantly); and reassurance that God will be with them and empower them as they risk to do God's work.
Jeremiah learned that he must tear down and destroy so that he could then build and plant something new. Mary listened to God's call, said “Yes” and offered a life in service of God's plan. God has a plan for you/me. As women of faith we can offer a ministry of listening. Often in the midst of competing voices it is difficult to discern God's voice. Is there some act of compassion, a voice for justice, a reassuring touch, an encouraging word that God is calling us to accept? God doesn't make mistakes in choosing messengers. God provides for the needs of those who respond and assures us we will not be alone.
Prayer: O God, Open our ears - open our hearts -- so we may listen and hear your call. Help us know how to discern your call and how to respond in faith and hope. May our actions show love, promote justice, proclaim your glory and give glimpses of the realm of God. Amen.


 Lois Poston, Friday, March 1, 1996

No comments: