Sunday, April 9, 2017

Sixth Sunday, April 9

This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time,” declares the Lord. I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.
Jeremiah 31:33-34(NIV)
that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
John 17:21(NIV)



I was browsing among the new books at Barnes & Noble one December Sunday afternoon and came upon The Book of Joy: ( no, not the Joy of Cooking) Lasting Happiness in a Changing World by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu with author Douglas Abrams.  I was intrigued and started reading it in January at bedtime each night, savoring the conversations of these two spiritual leaders. They met for a week in April 2015 in Dharamsala, India to celebrate the Dalai Lama’s eightieth birthday and from their conversations, they desired to write a universal book that included not only their Christian/Buddhist teachings/experiences with joy, but also research findings on the science of joy and other qualities that are believed to be essential for enduring happiness.
Reality is that we all face difficult circumstances, tragedies, natural disasters throughout life, we cannot know joy without suffering, and we make choices about how we respond to suffering. These friends identified and shared personal obstacles(fear,anxiety, frustration/anger, grief, despair, loneliness, envy, suffering /adversity, illness/fear of death) and qualities of the mind and heart (perspective, humility, humor, acceptance, forgiveness, gratitude, compassion, generosity) that help us cope with life’s challenges. Scientists are finding in their research studies that the choices we make in our hearts and minds during difficult times directly impact our ability to know joy in the midst of suffering when tears are shared and we reach out to one another.
The weavings I see in the scriptures coupled with the perspectives of  these wise souls is that God invites us to live each day in His peace and joy in community with one another. Yes, I will have trials/tribulations and will seek healing, but as I learn to emulate Jesus more each day, I move beyond my self-centeredness to become more compassionate and generous in our care of humanity.  
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
1 John 1:7


Our Father, creator of the universe and all your children throughout time, thank you for these scriptures that guide our learning to better understand suffering/grief and the opportunities you offer us to experience joy as we learn how to give ourselves away in service with others. Thank you for letting me see your presence in our daily lives especially through our ministries at Alcott and with Stephen Ministry. In the name of your beloved son Jesus and with the presence of the Holy Spirit within us, thank you, God. Amen.


Barb Linnenbrink

No comments: