Friday, February 15, 2008

LENTEN DEVOTION FOR FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 15

My Heart Is Changed Within Me (Hosea 11:1-11)

The author of Hosea was writing near the end of the 8th century BCE when the Assyrians were about to overrun the northern kingdom of Israel. There are things that don't seem to have changed much. At any rate the poetry is exquisite.

Over and over God responds to sin with grace. Not only with grace but with the love of a parent:

"It was I who taught Ephraim to walk, I who had taken them in my arms." (11:3)

"..led them with the bonds of love - that I lifted them like a little child to my cheek and that I had bent down to feed them." (11:4)

But like a parent, disappointment has to be tempered by forgiveness:

"My heart is changed within me, my remorse kindles already. I will not let loose my fury. I will not turn round and destroy Ephraim. I am God not a man..." (11:8)

How much things are the same. We still make mistakes. God still forgives us. And God still changes our hearts. The trouble may be that we are slow to realize our hearts have been changed. The leading players in the drama of the first testament sometimes had more direct messages than we are accustomed to experiencing. Since we have been blessed by more lessons from history and scripture, as well as more distractions, maybe we need to listen harder.

Father God, be with us as we listen for your voice. Amen.

Ross Stuntz

No comments: