Tuesday, February 12, 2008

LENTEN DEVOTION FOR TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 12

I Believe To help Peter Pan save Tinker Bell from Captain Hook's act of poisoning Pan's medicine, Peter asked from all who believed in Fairies to shout out loud, "I believe, I believe," and so they did. I know I don't have magical Tinker Bell dust on my wings, and I can't fly, but I believe. As one looks in a mirror, there are characteristics only visible to you that others may or may not see. What's most important to me is who's staring back. If my eyes are open wide with wonder and a smile is spread from one cheek to the other, I know my day of discovery is just beginning. I've learned so much already on life's journey. I've uncovered many delights along the way. Let me share a few with you. I believe in rainbows and pots of gold. I believe that a hot fudge sundae is better with nuts on top. I believe the sandman makes me sleepy and the rooster announces that morning is here. I believe people can make mistakes and I will be amongst those to forgive. I believe bald eagles are only
seen in dead trees while Canadian geese prefer Michigan's winter weather to the Florida's Everglades. I believe the Cow jumped over the Moon. I believe in a spiritual Being that watches over me. I believe that Tinker Bell saved Peter Pan and all the boys of Neverland. I believe the clouds are like floating animals in magical herds above. I believe the blind man can see me with the touch from a warm hand. I believe a dog is man's best friend and us women too. I believe a positive push is more productive than a negative shove. I believe a God hears my prayers. I believe throwing spilled salt over my shoulder for good luck and picking up all fallen pennies on the road to earn the interest due. I believe warts can disappear when a raw potato is wiped thereabouts and thrown backwards over my head as far as I can. I believe a dog's hearing is the best...they are always at the door waiting for my arrival. I believe in warm chocolate chip cookies with walnuts served right from the oven. I b
elieve in broccoli, spinach and carrots. I believe in oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar too. I believe in dreams and tomorrows. I never want to grow up. But I will -- older with wide open eyes and a smile from cheek to cheek. I believe in the Holy Ghost, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting. (The Apostles' Creed)

Carla Lamphere

No comments: