Thursday, February 14, 2008

LENTEN DEVOTION FOR THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 14

If ever anyone were appropriately named it was my sister Grace. She was seven when I was born and I was immediately "her baby". I was never without her love. As the years progressed we became even closer. We were each other's maid-of-honor and God parents to each other's children. In 2004 Grace and her husband came to visit. Grace had such a severe headache that we rushed her to Beaumont hospital where she stayed for 29 days, thirteen of them in intensive care. She was in acute kidney failure. Let me tell you a few of the things that made my sister so special. She lived in the little town of Brevard, North Carolina where she was a founding member of Sharing House an organization that combined ALL the local churches with the mission to help families and "folks" in crisis. She sang in her church choir and never felt that she was good enough. She was an artist. Her oil paintings brought joy to so many. As the disease progressed Grace had to leave her choir. Then her hands started shaki
ng so much that she laid her brushes down. And when the dialysis began to take so much of her time she had to say goodbye to her friends at Sharing House. Throughout all this there was never a complaint. She might have felt sad but she would say that this was part of God's plan and He knew what was best for her. When she knew that the end was near she asked me to come and be with her. We had shared so much and now we would share this. I asked her if she was afraid. She smiled and said that she was only curious as to who would come to take her home. She was so at peace, no fear, no worry just curiosity. She died two days later. She had such love and trust and faith in God. She was a gift from God to all who knew her. I loved her so much. I hope that God lets her come for me when it is my time to go "home". This my sister firmly believed; "Be not dismayed what e'er betide. God will take care of you. Beneath his wings of love abide. God will take care of you."

God grant that I may have as strong a faith to accept with love whatever you choose for me with grace and courage. Amen.

Joyce Uzelac

1 comment:

Unknown said...

what a beautiful love story, joyce. thank you for opening your heart and sharing.