Monday, February 25, 2008

LENTEN DEVOTION FOR MONDAY, FEBRUARY 25

Therefore encourage one another and build up each other, as indeed you are doing. (1 Thessalonians 5:11)

As I finished my first year as a member of Session, I and the other elders were asked to help with the stewardship campaign by calling people who had pledged in the past but hadn't yet done so, to encourage them to pledge by the end of the year.

Now I know money is a sensitive subject for many people, but I was still surprised by how many different emotions people expressed. Some planned to give but didn't want to pledge. Some were dealing with tight budgets. Others planned to give, but sporadically. There were surely unspoken feelings there too -- maybe not liking to be asked for money, maybe thinking church is a spiritual matter, not a financial one.

In my case, I don't especially like to be asked for money either. But I also like to keep things simple and practical. I want a church to attend. I like an organization where I can discuss the big questions of life with other interested people. I enjoy the beautiful building, meaningful worship, outstanding music, highly trained staff, wonderful programs, the opportunity for mission, and a community where people support each other.

I also know that while the church is a place of religious activity, it exists in the material world. So when pledge time comes, I don't debate with myself. I give what I feel I can afford and I make a pledge so the church has some idea of what its income will be. It's my sign of commitment to this particular place. It's a way of saying, "This is my church. This is the church I care about."

Dear Lord, Thank you for leading us to a caring community where we can be of service. Help us to support it gladly with our time, talents and treasure. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

Barbara Hoover

No comments: