Wednesday, February 27, 2008

LENTEN DEVOTION FOR WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 27

If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. (Mark 9:23)

My late husband Gene, and I were very active in the Boy Scout program. Our oldest grandson, Chad, joined too, along with his dad. We were pleased and happy that Chad was going to work-on his Eagle badge.

At first, he was very interested in doing the various requirements, but then lost interest when he received his driver's license and a car, a young lady appeared on the scene and soon the eagle badge was forgotten. Gene was disappointed, as he had hoped to see it presented. It turned out he never would as, unfortunately, he passed away soon after.

I, too, wanted him to finish things up, so I discussed it with a fellow Scouter, and he told me, "Once they get a whiff of gasoline fumes and perfume, it's a downhill path." It seemed hopeless, but I felt God would decide if it was to be, and I would put my faith in Him.

Time passed, and one day Chad's mother informed me he had resumed work on his Eagle. He worked very hard. As his project, he cleaned up an overgrown pond that was on his church's property. He and his dad and scout troop cleared underbrush and weeds. They put down a wood chip path and rustic benches around the pond.

When he had completed everything, I was there to see his badge presented, and I wished Gene could have been there, too. He would have been so proud, as was I.

Loving father, bless those who may have lost faith in you, and restore in them belief in your love. Amen.

Wilma Kempf

No comments: