Saturday, March 21, 2009

[LENTEN DEVOTIONAL] Saturday, March 21

SATURDAY,  MARCH 21
 
1 Corinthians 6:20 
For you were bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body.
 


One of the few areas where Visually Impaired people were ahead of the curve is in access to recorded books.  We’ve had them in some form since the 1930’s.  I mention that because when I attended the residential school for the blind, where I received my K through 12 education, one of the things some of us did on rainy afternoons on weekends was to listen to a book.
 
When in the sixth or seventh grade, one of my favorites was PT 109, the story of John Kennedy’s time in the Pacific during World War II.
 
In one scene in the story, after his boat is cut in half by a Japanese destroyer, Kennedy tows a badly burned mechanic several miles to an island where they and the remainder of the crew hope to find safety.  Although I remember the efforts of Kennedy, I was more impressed by the efforts of the mechanic whose hands were very badly burned, and who could not swim.

What I remember is that he kicked while being towed.  Maybe it helped a little, maybe not – who knows.  But it let Kennedy know that the mechanic was doing and would do all he could to help.
 
I know that in my life with God, I really want to be the dashing hero.  But our scriptures and tradition tell me that most, if not all of the time, this isn’t going to happen.  Though like the burned mechanic, I can do what I can, knowing that our God is responsible for sorting out our efforts.  When I remember this story, it reminds me that I don’t have to do it all, that I can’t do it all, that God is towing me along and I’m not doing the towing.  It is a reality check, something I and maybe some of us all need.
 
Praise God we aren’t responsible for everything!!
 

Prayer:  All praise and glory to you, O God, for being our Savior in this time of uncertainty.  Amen.

Terry Chaney



-----------------------------------------------------
You can unsubscribe from this list, or change preferences by clicking this link.

powered by phplist v 2.10.8, © tincan ltd

No comments: