Sunday, April 10, 2011

SUNDAY, APRIL 10


And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love.” (1 Corinthians 13:13)


Will you go to church with me?” was Ginnie’s response to my marriage proposal. While I was no stranger to church, I couldn’t have dreamed what direction that simple question would take me (us). That question resulted in a growth and dedication to make church the center of our lives, and once one does that, life will never be the same as we might have guessed it would be. It’s a sneaky process. Being introduced to a large number of people resulted in our phone ringing from our new acquaintances. There is always something happening at church,and participating in all these things tightens the bonds.


Whenever our phone rings we look at our calendar first to see what we have scheduled at church. Without a plan, we found our connection to the church growing more and more an integral part of ourselves. So many of you have been there and know first hand what I'm saying, while others have this wonderful experience before you.


Ginnie and I, through these experiences, have grown tighter in our relationship, sharing common interest. It’s a great life, and we could never have guessed nor planned a life together as satisfying as ours has been.


What has all this to do with Lent? It has to do with dedication of one’s life – no small matter, but neither a lightning bolt decision. God’s plan for us was not revealed in a blinding flash. Rather, He continued opening doors, behind which we, through faith, continued our life’s path. Only in retrospect do we see how our lives were shaped. It’s a matter of faith rather than knowing what tomorrow may bring. And speaking of faith, one of my favorite hymns (#276 – “Great Is Thy Faithfulness”) says it all. You can’t out-faith the Father.


Prayer: Great is Thy faithfulness. Great is Thy faithfulness, morning by morning new mercies I see. All I have needed Thy hand hath provided. Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me. Amen.


Bill Spurr

No comments: