Saturday, April 9, 2011

SATURDAY, APRIL 9


I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13)


They say there are no coincidences. So, I guess finding the book Things Happen When Women Care (Barnes, Emilie, 1973) at the Rummage Sale was intended. As I was reading it I came to this diagram.

God, Other,         People, Me, Cross


This diagram reminded me of my grandmother who was raised a Catholic, and though not especially religious, always thought of other people, and the verse at the top of the page also happened to be her favorite. In the days when most women stayed home, she taught in the Rochester, NY public schools, eventually rising to principal in the late 20’s. In the stock market crash of ’29, grandfather lost his shoe factory and could not find another job. Gram kept working and became Dean of Women. When she retired she held the highest position in the system.


She came to live with us in the 1950’s after her husband died and was a true inspiration to me. She often quoted the verse when I said I could not do something. She died in 1968. It was a cold December and I was riding the bus home from Wayne State where I was studying to be a children’s librarian. All of a sudden I stood up and cried, “Stop!” The bus lurched to a stop. I saw a phone booth and told the driver I needed to make a call. He waited. When I got back on I said, “My grandmother just passed.” Everyone stared at me. Whenever I hear that special verse, I think of Gram.


Prayer: Heavenly Father, there are no coincidences, everything happens in your time. We all need someone to lean on. Help us remember when we need strength, we can lean on you. Amen.


Maggie Garza

No comments: