Monday, March 11, 2013

MONDAY, MARCH 11



Give me a clean heart, O Lord, and a right spirit. (Psalm 50:10)

Regrets

In his book, If You Want to Walk On Water, You Have to Get Out of the Boat, John Ortberg writes about the cave named Failure. Everyone goes there some time or other. Even David and Jesus knew failure and spent their time in the cave. We go to the cave for different reasons. I felt like I was in the cave after Jim passed. I ventured out one step at a time, but I know the cave. When you come out, things are changed.
It had been a rocky marriage. We did not see eye to eye and frequently argued, but in recent years we were making progress. That’s why it hit me so hard when I heard the words, “He will not recover.” I knew what that meant and I was not ready. There was so much left unfinished. Regrets? I had a few. Should we have married? That was not one.
The cave I was in is called the cave of Regrets. He was a big bear of a man, gruff not refined. Still I had seen something in him long ago when we first met. Maybe it was still there but we stopped looking for it. Would it have made a difference if we had found it, or were we too far apart? I don’t know, but at least I would have tried my best and accepted him as he was, flaws and all. Instead, I tried to make him into someone he was not. I regret that I lost a friend, not an ex.

O Lord, give me a patient and accepting heart. Keep me from trying to change others. Let them be themselves, as we all want others to accept us for who we are, not should be. Amen.
Maggie Garza

No comments: