Tuesday, March 5, 2013

TUESDAY, MARCH 5


We also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us, because God has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us. (Romans 5:3-5)

When I was a competitive swimmer, and now as I watch my grandson, Alexander, begin his competitive swimming journey, there is practice, more practice, and more practice. There is constant learning and refinement of strokes. Then in the races, we have losses and sometimes victories. Through it all, we persevere and then see improvement, and eventually, we realize that we have changed and grown to be better swimmers and better people through the hard work with our teammates and with the guidance of our coaches who really cared about helping us succeed.
I then look at my life and remember the days of running free and health challenges, the business successes and failures, wonderful times with Donna and some disagreements, the joy of my children and days of worry, my faith journey with unanswered questions and then knowing where I am going. Throughout my life, I have persevered under the guidance and grace of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and now have “hope of sharing the glory of God.” (Romans 5:2)
As we approach Easter, we know that our sufferings, trials, and even our sins do not separate us from God's love and that as we persevere, we are “reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more surely, having been reconciled, will we be saved by his life.” (Romans 5:10)

Dear God, give us the peace through our Lord Jesus Christ that the Holy Spirit that has been given to us will lead us through our sufferings and successes and strengthen us to persevere and give us hope until we share in the glory of God. Amen.
Dave Zimmer

No comments: