Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Tuesday, April 15

Be still and know that I am God.
Psalm 45:10
 
When a large family with thirteen children gathers around the dinner table, you can imagine the clamor! A guest who had joined such a family for a meal turned to the mother and asked in a loud voice, “How in the world do you get their attention?"
"I whisper," the mother answered.
Today's loud, brash, warring world is not much different than the one in which Jesus walked. There was strife in the Middle East. people were treated without dignity and harshly. There was hunger, poverty, illness, confusion then as there is now. But through Jesus, God whispered a message of Good News---"You are loved with a love that will not let me go!"
We can wonder if such a whisper is enough in a world of greed, stress, dishonesty, war, and loss. Yet it is there. The power of God's whisper is evident---in the stillness of creation, in the stillness of a human gesture of love, in the stillness of prayer, and in the stillness of a favorite scripture passage.
The amazing shout of God that says, "I so love this world that I give my beloved Son" still whispers through the ages.
Prayer: God of Grace, help me quiet myself and find times this day to stop and be still and know that you are God. Amen.
 
Katie Thoresen (1991)

No comments: