Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Wednesday, April 16

Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you that kill the prophets and stone those who are sent to you! How often have I longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her brood under her wings and you refused!
Luke 13:33-35
 
Who were these murderous children who
stoned the prophets? why didn't
they recognize the divine
longing to gather,
embrace and
LOVE?
Not you! Not me!
But ... Would I throw
a stone? Have I recognized
the longing He has for me to
set self aside and snuggle under His wing?
 
~ Anonymous (1990)
 

 
I WONDER
You know, Lord, how I serve You
With great emotional fervor
In the limelight.
You know how eagerly I speak for You
At a women's club.
You know how I effervesce when I promote
A fellowship group.
You know my genuine enthusiasm
At a Bible Study.
 
But how much would I react, I wonder
If you pointed to a basin of water
And asked me to wash the calloused feet
Of a bent and wrinkled old woman
Day after day
Month after month
In a room where nobody saw
And nobody knew.
 
This “earthy" poem is from a book entitled TeII Me Again Lord, I Forget by Ruth Calkin. It has meant a great deal to me!

Delpha Brown (1991)

 
My favorite prayers:
O God, when we weep your hands wipe the tears from our eyes. When we hunger and thirst, you invite us to your table until we are errant no more. When we are frightened, you enter into our darkness and hold us against all harm. When we are faithless, you forgive and welcome us back and kill for us a fatted calf.

O God, on whom we count when we are in need, remind us of our side of the Covenant that of being your People, of feeding your sheep.

O God, forgive our pious platitudes, our unending excuses for not giving. Reach into our hearts and wipe away the dust until once more we can clearly see your love written there. Amen.
 
Evelyn Gehres (1991)

No comments: