Thursday, February 26, 2015

Thursday, February 26

Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.
1 Peter 4:10
Gifts take many forms - some for the world to see, some kept quiet within our souls. I think of one day when I thanked Andrew for his gift of music and the beautiful songs from the choir that Sunday morning. His eyes lit up and asked, “Do you sing?” “Not well,” was my response. I explained that God gave my mom and sister the gift of beautiful voices with which to sing, but I didn’t feel too gifted in that area. There are those with athletic abilities (again, not something I feel blessed with), those with intellectual capabilities far surpassing mine, those with knowledge to work technical gadgets (of whom I keep close in my circle for assistance) and the list goes on.
We all have gifts, and how we choose to use them is a reflection of God’s voice within our hearts, of that I am certain. Gifts of time, energy, and patience help me when I’m teaching Sunday school and helping at Alcott. Others have gifts of cooking, reading to others, playing instruments, supplying necessities for those less fortunate… some seemingly simple talents, yet speak volumes to those receiving them. “…It is more blessed to give than to receive,” Jesus tells us (Acts 20:35), yet every time I leave church or Alcott, I feel as though I’ve received a precious gift – seeing the world through eyes different from mine.

Simple Gifts by Joseph Brackett
'Tis the gift to be simple, ‘tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
‘Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain’d,
To bow and to bend, we shan’t be asham’d,
To turn, turn, will be our delight,
‘Till by turning, turning we come ‘round right

Gracious God, Thank you for your gift of grace. Help me to share my gifts, however simple they may be, with others, honoring and glorifying You. Amen


Stephanie Kummer

No comments: