Sunday, March 15, 2015

Fourth Sunday, March 15

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Jesus Christ took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:12-14

Everyone has his goals; it is almost the American way. A child works especially hard to make a sports team. Lots and lots of practice and he will often attain that goal. A college student wants more than anything to make the Dean's List. Many late nights studying and she will most likely meet her goal. A concert violinist will work hours and hours to reach the goal of playing a deeply moving concerto. In life we often have goals regarding our jobs, our relationships and our personal lives. Yet once we attain our goal...then what?

So often an earthly goal takes on a different look once we have achieved it. We may, in fact, become a bit disenchanted and even have a sense of restlessness after meeting our destination. Perhaps this is because these goals are small steps in our lives. They are important but only in their own perspective as to how they relate to the moment. As Christians there is just one lasting goal. We must move ahead, witnessing to the world as we go along, to that time in eternity with Jesus Christ.


Lord, I ask your daily presence in my life that I might not “lose sight of the forest for the trees." Please help me to rejoice as I meet daily goals but also help me to focus on moving forward. May I lead a disciplined Christian life and keep my perspective on the true purpose of my existence. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 Sarah Krug (1994)

No comments: