Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Wednesday, March 11

Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, then healers, helpers, administrators, speakers in various kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? But earnestly desire the higher gifts? And I will show you a still more excellent way.
I Corinthians 12:27-31


In the scripture above, Paul says, “God has appointed helpers.” This is how I see myself in the total picture of the church. I respect and admire others who have the gift of leadership, oratory skills, administrative ability etc. But for the ordinary person, like myself, the word helper suggests that there is something important for everyone to do. It's a matter of finding things that we can do, and doing them.
I once heard an analogy about three and four leaf clovers. The four leaf variety is special and rare. (As children, we would hunt them on warm summer days.) They are wonderful to find. And how thankful we are for the “4 leaf ” multi-talented people who are involved in the life and ministry of the church.
The three leaf variety, common and ordinary, however is the variety that keeps the field green, the cows fed and the milk flowing. We can be thankful for the ordinary members, who are involved in some vital way in the life and ministry of our church. Ordinary people who say, “I am only one, but still, I am one. I can not do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

Heavenly Father, during this Lenten season, help us to re-examine ourselves. Help us to find the “something" we can do and give us perseverance to keep at it. We remember that it is in doing that we learn and grow, in Jesus' name. Amen.


Paula Painter (1994)

No comments: