Monday, March 6, 2017

Monday, March 6

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.  
Ephesians 4:2

A new chapter will begin in my life soon… our son will attend college this fall. Acceptance letters that, in my day, used to come by “snail mail” now drop into his email account… only for him to see. As a parent, I don’t always know if that “YES” from the school he really hopes to attend has been received, unless he chooses to share the news.
Countless others of you have gone down this road and share wonderful stories of your adult children and how they have found a path that suits them. I also know that God has gone before me as I embark on this journey of one less person in the house day in and day out… How have we done raising this young man? God has entrusted him to us for these last 18 years … how do I know that we have done a good job? I think he has been raised to be considerate, helpful, compassionate, polite, smart and strong ~ is that enough?
The world is full of people who can’t get enough money, reach the highest level on the company ladder, or own a big house filled with worldly possessions. Are these accomplishments really noteworthy if those around you have been neglected? I hope he has learned to be humble. “For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.” Romans 12:3
Thank you for sharing your stories with me to reassure me that a new “normal” will emerge as this young adult ventures into the world. God, I know, will watch over him and guide his decisions… God has helped me these last 18 years, and now, for the most part, I turn this young man back over to God and pray that the decisions to be made will be a reflection of how he’s been raised.

Thank you, Lord, for teaching us humility, trust and compassion, just to name a few. Help each of us to continue to practice these gifts in our everyday life, through good times and challenging times. Amen


Stephanie Kummer

No comments: