Thursday, March 16, 2017

Thursday, March 16

 For it was by hope that we are saved; but if we see what we hope for, then is it not really hope. For who hopes for something he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.
Romans 8: 24-25  Good News Bible



One person can make a difference.  I use this line often at work with my hospital laboratory staff and almost daily to myself.
It took on greater and clearer meaning, it was an "a-ha moment", when I was on the Kenya mission trip in August. We met so many wonderful people during our trip, but two brave women, Beatrice and Faith, changed my life. Their stories and their lives brought me to tears. I want to have the bravery they have.
Both of these women are champions to the young Masai girls who are trying to escape from the horrifying coming of age ritual of female genital mutilation that is still practiced today by the native Masai.  Many of these young girls, some as young as age 7, run away from home rather than endure the ritual. They often have no where to go.  That is where Beatrice comes in. She and her daughter live and run a girls home for these girls . The home is in the middle of the vast empty Masai land, with no running water or plumbing.  The girls are taught they are beautiful, smart, and loved by God. More importantly, they are safe, they receive an education, and if it is safe to do so, will maintain some contact with their families.  To us, the spoiled North Americans, the conditions the girls live in are awful,but the girls are happy, full of joy and love, and eager to be successful adults.
 Faith counsels young girls  in schools and remote villages and teaches them about female health, positive body images and encourages the girls to find their own voice.  Faith left her family to escape from the ritual, and it has taken her many years to reconnect with her family.  With the support of FPC Birmingham, she is pursuing her degree in Public Health and has big plans for continuing her mission to help these girls.
Beatrice and Faith are remarkable women and are making a difference every day to those girls. I like to think that our team made a difference while in Kenya by finishing a school and a church, but I know that for me the trip was a trip of hope. A hope for the future of those girls and boys we met, a hope for the growth of the church community at the dedicated church we helped build, a hope for the country as a whole, and a hope for the preservation of the Mara where the spectacular animals roam free from poaching.
My eyes were opened to the kindness of others, the faith that Beatrice and Faith have even when it seems hopeless, and the hope they give those girls to have a brighter future.
Hope is always a feeling I get during Lent and this year I will be thankful for my new Kenyan friends, and I will remember every day what the girls said to us: : " God is good all the time, and all the time God is good.  
Thanks be to God.

Dear God,  I thank you for my Kenyan friends and the memories created with them.  In this season of Lent, let us be hopeful for the future and grateful for the blessings of today.  Give us the strength and patience to make a difference- one person at a time.  In your name we pray, Amen

Mary Aho

No comments: