Friday, April 3, 2009

[LENTEN DEVOTIONAL] Friday, April 3

FRIDAY,  APRIL 3
 

Matthew 7:7,8 
“Ask, and it will be given you; … For everyone who asks receives; … ”
 

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about my mother, who was a widow for 25 years after the death of my father.  Four years ago, when my mother became ill with cancer, I traveled to Maine and we spent a number of precious months together.  Part of my time was used for getting the house in order for new occupants.  My mother had little items here and there, but perhaps the one that spoke the most to me was a piece of yellowing paper.

That little piece of paper was glued to one of her kitchen cabinets, and it pretty much summed up her understanding and relationship with God.  Even though we did not talk much about matters of the Spirit, I felt this little paper gave me an insight into my mother’s prayer life.

Today that little piece of paper is glued to my kitchen cabinet.  I see this note each morning, thank God for my mother’s life, and thank God for the knowledge of the words that spoke to her and now speak to me.
 

      I asked for Strength
            and God gave me Difficulties to make me strong.

      I asked for Wisdom
            and God gave me Problems to solve.

      I asked for Prosperity
            and God gave me a Brain and Brawn to work.

      I asked for Courage
            and God gave me Danger to overcome.

      I asked for Love
            and God gave me Troubled people to help.

      I asked for Favors
            and God gave me Opportunities.

      I received nothing I wanted.
            I received everything I needed.

 

Prayer:  Thank you for caring for us and giving us everything we need.  We pray in the name of Jesus.  Amen.

Sarah Krug



-----------------------------------------------------
You can unsubscribe from this list, or change preferences by clicking this link.

powered by phplist v 2.10.8, © tincan ltd

No comments: