Wednesday, April 1, 2009

[LENTEN DEVOTIONAL] Wednesday, April 1

WEDNESDAY,  APRIL 1
 

Matthew 28:20
  And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.
 


When Mother died in 2007, I had said to my brother Bill, “I’m not going to lose touch with our Kentucky cousins just because Mama isn’t here to hold us together.”  He readily agreed and so the two of us had a grand visit down there that summer.

On the way home we started planning our visit for the next year.  Bill suggested using his timeshares to get two large condos in the Kentucky Lakes area, so we could host a family reunion.  Now Bill lives in the Washington D.C. area, and thus began a year of phone calls from Virginia to Michigan to Kentucky and back again.  What an undertaking, but such eager anticipation from everyone.  I kept saying, “Mother would be so happy we’re doing this.”

Our first “coming together” of the reunion was at the Bardwell Christian Church with many cousins, big and little, awaiting us.  The start of worship was even delayed while we hugged not only family, but other church members, too, all happy for us.

Finally, we all calmed down; my brother’s family sat in about the middle of the church.  As I started up the aisle toward them, I stopped beside my cousin Allen, who was sitting alone in the last row.  Three years ago he had lost his son, and in the Spring, his only brother – who was his best friend, business partner and housemate. (We had both cried upon greeting each other earlier.)  I just couldn’t go past him and sit with Bill.  So I slid past him and sat in the second spot.  Taking the hymnal in front of me, I automatically looked at the dedication page.  I couldn’t believe my eyes!  It was from Mary M Schoonmaker (Mama) in memory of Barbara M Allen, her older sister and Allen’s grandmother!

Allen and I were overwhelmed.  What were the chances of this happening?  What if I hadn’t followed my heart and sat there?  Soon after another cousin sat on my other side and upon showing the hymnal he said, “I think someone’s very glad you’re here.”
 

Prayer:  Sweet Jesus, you direct us without our even realizing it.  Thank you for loving us.  Amen.

Kitty Stephenson



-----------------------------------------------------
You can unsubscribe from this list, or change preferences by clicking this link.

powered by phplist v 2.10.8, © tincan ltd

No comments: