Thursday, April 7, 2011

THURSDAY, APRIL 7


Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy?” (Isaiah 55:2a)


I really wanted an e-reader. I spent a lot of time figuring out which one I should buy, and even more time imagining how wonderful it would be to own one of these magical devices: lots of reading material easily carried around and available whenever I felt like reading.


Well, let me tell you: it is a wonderful magical device. But am I satisfied? Of course not. Now I really want a pair of Golf Sandals. Or maybe a fancy new digital camera. Or …


But then, I know this about myself: things do not really make me happy – the pleasure of some new toy quickly fades. What gives me real joy? The sense of blessing I feel every morning when I awake: another day in which to be thankful. An awsome sunrise. A moonrise. The amazing power of the foamy surf crashing against a sandy shore. A child splashing in a bucket of water drawn from a dark bay on a moonless night ... and in the spashing water, bio-luminescence sparkling like stars. These are gifts from God himself – reminders of His abundant love.


Listen carefully to me, and eat what is good,

and delight yourselves in rich food.


Incline your ear, and come to me;
listen, so that you may live.


(Isaiah 55:2b-3a)


Prayer: Dear Lord God, thank you for this amazing world and for every moment you have given me to experience it! Amen.


Charlotte Fischer

No comments: