Sunday, April 3, 2011

SUNDAY, APRIL 3


Are not five sparrows sold for two cents? Yet not one of them is forgotten in God’s sight. Don’t be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows.” (Luke 12:6-7)


We find numerous references to animals and birds in the Scriptures. Because I am a frog I look for references to my people in the Bible but the only ones I see are nasty, connecting my species with plagues people found distasteful, so I will ignore them. Most helpful are the references Jesus makes toward birds.


Sparrows: Not one of them is forgotten in his sight. Do not worry about your life. Ravens. They neither sow nor reap. They have neither storehouse nor barns and yet God feeds them.


It is obvious that Jesus really liked sheep. He describes humans as God’s little flock. They are stupid but useful. Wool was big business in Palestine and Jesus referred to himself as the good shepherd, comparing himself to the herder protecting the flock. I, however, wish to stick with frogs, with my compatriots, and the way Jim Henson refers to me and other frogs.


I really do believe that all of you are at the beginning of a wonderful journey. As you start traveling down that road of life, remember this: There are never enough comfort stops. The places you are going to are never on the map. And once you get that map out you won't be able to refold it no matter how smart you are. So forget the map, roll down the windows, and whenever you can, pull over and have a picnic with a pig. And if you can help it, never fly as cargo.


(It's Not Easy Being Green, The Jim Henson Company, Inc.)


All I can say is that Lent is for frogs, given our green-ness and the assessment that it isn’t easy being that color. Too likely to be stepped on. Hard to get over the stereotype that causes people to describe us as slimy. Folks do not like to touch us as they do with sheep, who are brainless but cuddly and soft and easy to push around.


Prayer: I pray that the two legged creatures might learn what we frogs know – that life is not easy but we have a scriptural map and the awareness that we can survive without being stepped on. Amen.


Kermit

No comments: