Monday, March 19, 2012

MONDAY, MARCH 19




Jeremiah 18:6 O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter has done? says the Lord. Behold, like the clay in the potter's hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.

To Be Used by God

I love the hymn “Spirit of the Living God,” penned by Presbyterian minister Daniel Iverson in 1926. The quiet plea, the measured cadence, the direct address of this hymn says it all. “Spirit of the Living God, Fall afresh on me!” A mantra in its simplicity, with a haunting melody that seems to wait, poised on Bb, for God to breathe.

Iverson doubtless knew the older hymn “Have Thine Own Way, Lord,” by Adelaide A. Pollard (1907), another old favorite from my childhood.

Iverson’s rising prayer “Melt me, mold me, Fill me, use me,” echoes Pollard’s “Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way! Thou art the Potter, I am the clay. Mold me and make me after Thy will, while I am waiting, yielded and still. Power, all power, surely is Thine! Touch me and heal me, Savior divine. Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way! Hold o’er my being absolute sway! Fill with Thy Spirit ’till all shall see Christ only, always, living in me.”

Once again I am reminded it is God’s will, not mine. I need to be still, to wait, to yield. I need to let God hold me in God’s hand as a potter does the clay. What shape will I take? How will I be used by God? Only God knows.

Thank you, God, for creating us new each day, forgiven and empowered by you to do your will. Send your Spirit to guide us. Amen.

Diane Falconer

No comments: