Thursday, March 22, 2012

THURSDAY, MARCH 22




Hebrews 4:12 Indeed, the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing until it divides soul from spirit, joints from marrow; it is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and succeed in the thing for which I sent it.

When I was with Presbyterian Women in India last October, I had a brief conversation with a woman who taught university courses on the Bible as literature. Most of her students were not Christian (only about 2.3% of Indians identify themselves as Christian). She told me that occasionally students would express their concern that the text seemed to be speaking to them. Was this book supposed to do that? We smiled as we talked because we know that the Bible does speak to us.

I am sorry to say that I am too disorganized to practice daily devotions. The internet kindly provides me a daily reminder, though, through a subscription to the daily lectionary (http://pcusa.org/subscriptions/lists/daily-lectionary/). Sometimes I'm too busy to read the message in those emails, but when I open one, I often find scripture speaking to me. And I stop and remember that I am a child of God. I am reminded again ...
  • to be thankful every day
  • to treasure the gift of faith that comes from God, nurtured by my family and my church
  • to see good and to see God in everyone
  • to remember my obligation to care for all of God's creation and all of God’s creatures
  • but most of all, to feel my connection to this living Word, this Word that became flesh and dwelt (and continues to dwell) among us.

Lord, Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Continue to remind me every day to seek your word in scripture. Help me to hear and respond to your word so that it does not return to you empty. Amen.
Charlotte Fischer

No comments: