Saturday, March 3, 2012

SATURDAY, MARCH 3




Matthew 27:46 “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?”

Scholars have parsed those words of Christ on the cross, as translated from Aramaic to Greek, to explain away the seeming uncertainty and despair of our Savior in the moments before his earthly death. In both Matthew and Mark this outcry is reported as the last words of Jesus; in Luke the words are not reported and Jesus’ last words are “Father, into thy hands I commit my spirit!” (Luke 23:46). In John the words likewise do not appear, and the last words are “It is finished!” (John 19:30).

Hardly any of us can follow the language experts in their dissection of these passages. I for one am not only willing to accept that our Lord was driven to the brink of despair by the crucifixion, but I applaud this wonderful display of the humanity of Christ. I like to think that Mark and Matthew are reporting what Christ really said, and aren’t writing mere polemics. Here we are exposed to the great good news that God himself could take on the frailties of humanity. And remember, Jesus went through his agonizing ordeal to the resurrection!

Dear God: Thank you for sending your Son who shares with us the uncertainties and sufferings of humankind. Let us remember your mighty sacrifice of Good Friday, and guide us through Christ to the resurrection and the life of your kingdom. Amen.


Stanford Evans

No comments: