Sunday, March 25, 2012

SUNDAY, MARCH 25




Psalm 78:1-4 Give ear, O my people, to my teaching, incline your ears to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings from of old, things that we have heard and known, that our ancestors have told us. We will not hide them from their children; we will tell to the coming generation the glorious deeds of the Lord, and his might, and the wonders that he has done.

The Emergence of a Visual Storytelling

Following in the weeks since our basement flooded as we have renovated the rec room, I have been able to work on continuing to “scrapbook” many more of our photos which were salvaged from water damage. These are from so many great times over such a long span of years. They were shared vacations and happy celebrations of special occasions and holidays. In reclassifying these pictures and trying to enhance their presentation, they seem to become a form of storytelling that would be a kind of chronicle of events. It came forth to me as a wonderfully fun gift that was given to me. I will be looking forward to having everybody else share in these memories.

During this process, I encountered my book, “Dancing with Words: Storytelling As Legacy, Culture, and Faith” by Ray Buckley. His learning was part of his heritage as a Native American. In their oral language they were often religious. They found their stories were often like songs and were “gifted” as they were shared. There were often examples of people with disabilities who became exceptional storytellers. They discovered so many ways to descriptively connect their communities and culture. It seems such a good way to augment a journey by expressing it orally and visually in pictures.

Gracious God: Help us to listen and look. We are trying to tell a story that was your Creation. A Story of all stories, begun long ago. And by remembering, tell someone else, so that they will know. Amen.

Carol Morrill

No comments: