Tuesday, March 13, 2012

TUESDAY, MARCH 13




Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

Many of my friends from seminary seem to have such wonderful “call stories.” Some of them seem like they belong in a Cecil B. DeMille movie. Mine was much less dramatic…just this feeling of being nudged for seven years. And unlike many of these friends, I was very uncertain as to where this call was taking me. So many people heard God’s voice so readily and clearly, it seemed, and I was envious.

I prayed so often to hear God speak to me, to let me know I was on the right path, and give me a clue where this was headed. I often joke that I’m looking for a billboard in the sky with blinking lights and God’s message to me. After all, I’m not getting any younger, God!

One particular night after rushing out of work to get to school on time, I was standing in the pouring rain, 113 pages behind in reading for class, and I couldn’t get the code to open the seminary door. All I could think was, “God, what in the world am I doing?” I was so frustrated! And God spoke to me. There was no doubt about it. God said, “Go in and get to class.”

I laugh when I think of it. No angels, no drum rolls, no pat on the back or encouragement – just “Go in and get to class.” And I realized then that I had gotten exactly what I had asked for. An answer. Stay the course.

It’s hard when answers don’t come in the form we are looking for, or packaged the way we want. And I have learned that although God answered me clearly that night, I receive answers to questions all the time if I just open my ears to hear and my eyes to see.

Loving and ever faithful God, Help me to remember that you often light our paths with a little spark; a spark that gives great light if we just open ourselves to be led by it. Amen.

Joanne Blair

No comments: