Sunday, March 23, 2014

Third Sunday in Lent, March 23

Do not let your heart be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me.
John 14:1
Pick up the newspaper and read all about the chaos in our world. Click on the TV and see all of the devastation, live and in living color. It is horrifying and even frightening. Maybe you despair. Yet, look behind the headlines and the TV reports. Think about the many people who came from all over the country to help those in need in New York and New Jersey (Hurricane Sandy last year). Think of strangers who came together to help, to comfort each other following a senseless slaughter in Connecticut (Sandy Hook Elementary School).
Despair may cause you to ask, “Where was God?”
God is right here with us just as He has been and always will be. Remember the Twenty Third Psalm:

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil; for you are with me;
your rod and your staff — they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long.

 
Prayer: Our Father, in the name of Jesus, keep us ever mindful that “your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”
 
Nancy Therasse (2014)

No comments: